Bertram Pincus (Ricky Gervais) in the movie Ghost Town.
Only floss the teeth that you want to keep.
How to brush your teeth properly!
There are a number of different ways in which adults can maintain oral health. Here are our recommendations on how to maintain good oral health:
What you’ll need:
- A good quality toothbrush - medium sized with medium bristles.
- A good quality toothpaste (specific to your individual needs).
- Dental floss or tape (or inter-dental brushes if recommended by your dental care professionals).
View your oral hygiene as a 3-step routine:
- Brush twice a day - first thing in the morning and last thing at night.
- The reason for brushing is to remove the soft layer of plaque that builds up on your teeth.
- Split your mouth into four quadrants and spend a minimum of 30 seconds on each. (Take slightly longer for crowns and bridges).
- Use gentle and short strokes moving back and forth the teeth and the gum edge.
- After brushing the teeth, run the toothbrush over the top surface of the tongue to aid with fresh breath.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3 months or if the bristles are splayed.
- Floss once a day - before brushing at night.
- Flossing is one of the essentials of maintaining good oral hygiene alongside brushing.
- Measure approx 50cm of floss and wrap it around a finger on each hand and pull taut.
- Place between the teeth and curve up and down the tooth in a C-shape, getting between all the teeth in your mouth using a fresh part of the floss for each gap.
- Although using mouthwash is not essential, it will enhance a good oral hygiene regime (but will not replace good quality brushing and flossing).